As I professed in my post last week, Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Maple Buttercream frosting, I LOVE pumpkin! So I love finding as many ways as possible to enjoy it!!
This week’s recipe is Whole Wheat Pumpkin Oat Muffins.
Not only do these muffins taste like pumpkin, but the whole wheat and oats make them hearty. The oil in this recipe keeps the muffin moist and delicious!!
They are also super easy to make, we start by mixing together the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, spices) together.
You will then mix together the wet ingredients (buttermilk, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla). No mixer needed!
Then simply add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
When dividing the batter amongst the 12 paper liners, you will find that you will need to fill the liners completely (not 2/3 full like you would do with a cupcake). Sprinkle with oats and bake! It is that easy!!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Oat Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (will need additional oats to sprinkle on top of batter)
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/4 t cloves
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (you can add 1/4 cup of granulated sugar if you would like them a little sweeter)
- 1/3 cup oil (can use olive, canola, vegetable or grapeseed)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 t vanilla extract
YIELDS 12 MUFFINS
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl (no mixer needed) add flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Mix. In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk, pumpkin, sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner with batter. Lightly sprinkle each liner with oats. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Adapted from Kitchen Treaty