I love this time of year! I am completely obsessed with pumpkin ALL year round, but this time of year my unhealthy obsession is accepted, and even encouraged!
That is why I am thrilled to share this recipe with you…the first of many Pumpkin recipes this fall!
So let’s start with the cupcake…they are fluffy, moist, and full of pumpkin and spices, so perfect!!
Just take a peek at all of the great spices that are in these cupcakes…yum!
To me, the only issue with pumpkin is just determining which way to enjoy it. That is why I promise to share many more pumpkin recipes with all of you. However, even with these cupcakes it was hard to determine the best way to eat them!
Just take a look at these unfrosted cupcakes, straight out of the oven! (I couldn’t help myself, I had to try them warm)
Once I decided to frost them, then I had to decide which frosting to use. My first thought was my Whipped Cream- Cream Cheese Frosting, because really…who doesn’t love Cream Cheese frosting on a pumpkin cupcake?? But then I thought of all the other tasty variations that I could use. One being my Maple Buttercream Frosting! I figured that the best way to decide was a taste test (PLUS it gave me an excuse to eat more cupcakes).
Below are the photos I took including the Whipped Cream-Cream Cheese Frosting.
They look great, and were pretty good….but I have to admit, I liked the Maple Buttercream frosting better. It still has a little bit of cream cheese, but also includes brown sugar and maple syrup, which tastes incredible with the pumpkin flavor in the cupcake!
Since I preferred the Maple Buttercream frosting, I will share that below. However, you can always access my Whipped Cream-Cream Cheese frosting by clicking this link.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup oil (can use olive, canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 can of pure pumpkin puree (15 oz.)
- 1 t of vanilla
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 2 t cinnamon
- 1 t cloves
- 1 t allspice
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/2 t baking soda
Yields 24 cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix sugars and oil until well incorporated. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add pumpkin and vanilla, mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, mixing just until incorporated.
- Line two muffin pans with paper liners, spoon batter into liners. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Adapted from Chow Hound
Maple Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 oz of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 T brown sugar
- Squirt of honey
- 1-2 cups of powdered sugar
- Nutmeg for garnish (optional)
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until the combination is light and fluffy. Add maple syrup, vanilla, brown sugar, and honey mix until the brown sugar is no longer grainy. Add powdered sugar a little bit at a time (1/2 cup), until you are happy with the texture. Continue to beat until the frosting is fluffy.
- If desired, sprinkle Nutmeg on top of the cupcakes.
Adapted from Carlyklock.com