Are you ready for these??? I most definitely am! I love everything S’mores related…and these cupcakes have been a long time coming!
I have tried a few different recipes in the past. Although they were delicious, I didn’t feel they fully represented S’mores.
To be true to the taste, I felt that we needed two key elements…..Toasted Marshmallows and Hershey’s Chocolate. That means that the cupcake needs to be graham cracker, filled with Hershey’s chocolate, and topped with toasted marshmallow frosting!!
The cupcakes are very simple to fill. I used a corer, but if you do not have one, you could simply use a knife and cut at an angle.
I also chose to use Hershey’s Chocolate spread, because it is convenient, and of course every S’more needs Hershey’s!!
The easiest way to fill them is to use a piping bag without a tip. If you do not have piping bags, you could always just cut the tip off of a Ziploc bag.
To toast the Marshmallow frosting, I used a kitchen torch. I had never used one before, but I found an inexpensive one on Amazon, and it was so easy to use!
The Hershey’s spread and the toasted marshmallow really perfectly compliment the fluffy graham cracker cupcake.
If you would like to learn how to pipe frosting, check out my tutorial here.
Hershey’s Filled S’mores Cupcake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup finely ground graham crackers (about 6 sheets)
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup Hershey’s Chocolate Spread
Yields approx 16 cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat butter and sugars together, until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and then vanilla. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, graham crackers, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Alternate adding the graham cracker mix and buttermilk to wet ingredients. Beginning and ending with he graham cracker mix.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners, bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely. Once cooled, core the cupcakes and fill with Hershey’s Chocolate Spread.
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 T corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 t cream of tartar
- 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 sheet of graham crackers, crushed (optional garnish)
- Add one inch of water to a medium saucepan. Put on medium heat.
- While the water is heating, add egg whites, water, corn syrup, sugar, and cream of tartar to a mixing bowl. Whisk together.
- Once the water in the saucepan is simmering, put the mixing bowl on top of it. Whisk constantly until the egg mixture is foamy and warm to the touch.
- Remove from heat, and use a whisk attachment on high for about 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and marshmallows and mix again on high until smooth and it can form a stiff peak, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pipe frosting on cupcakes, and toast using a kitchen torch. If desired, top with crushed graham crackers.
Adapted from Life Made Simple