Recently I brought in my chocolate cupcakes to my day job. My boss tasted them and had an amazing suggestion…coffee flavored frosting!! YUM
So I had to try it! I won’t say a whole lot about the cupcakes in this post, because they are also featured in my Butterfinger Cupcakes, and Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream frosting. I will just keep it short, and just say they are easy to make, and delicious!! If you haven’t tried them yet, please do!! You will not regret it.
Now onto the frosting!! It is extremely easy to make and has the perfect hint of coffee flavor!! (Not to mention that I love the color)
You have to try this recipe, even if you are not a fan of coffee. Trust me, it is not over bearing…just tasty!! Oh, and did I mention the aroma……amazing! This frosting is thick and perfect for piping, but still creamy.
I also decorated mine with a chocolate covered espresso bean. This garnish is optional 🙂
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (can use olive, canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Yields 12-14 cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix together the eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together cocoa, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Alternately begin adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the large bowl, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners, spoon batter into liners. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Coffee Flavored Buttercream
- 1 1/2 T instant coffee
- 1 1/2 T pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 T water
- 1 1/2 cup (3 sticks) of butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 T heavy cream
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans (optional garnish)
- In a small bowl, mix together instant coffee, vanilla, and water until the coffee is dissolved. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. It will get lighter in color. Slowly add in powdered sugar, beat for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is fluffy and resembles frosting.
- Add in coffee mixture and heavy cream, beat until well combined.
Adapted from The Kitchen is My Playground