Be prepared to become everyone’s favorite baker after making this recipe!! This is the most universally loved recipe I have made to date!
I chose to keep the cupcakes primarily a chocolate cupcake, with just a little touch of Butterfinger. Otherwise, I feel like you just end up with a chocolate/peanut butter cupcake…and that isn’t what I am going for!
To begin this recipe, you will want to take a vegetable peeler to your candy bars. It may be odd, but trust me, this is the best way I have found to separate the chocolate outside from the crunch peanut butter inside. It is okay if you get a LITTLE chocolate in the peanut butter bowl, or a little peanut butter in the chocolate bowl.
You will need to crush the peanut butter bars. They will need to be very fine, as you will be adding them into the frosting and no one likes crunchy frosting! I recommend using a food processor if you have one available.
After crushing the peanut butter bars, set the mixture aside and begin making the cupcakes. After spooning the batter into paper liners, I like to sprinkle a little bit of the peanut butter powder on top of the batter before placing it in the oven. This step is optional, keep in mind if you do this you will need to peel the candy bars before making the cupcakes.
The frosting comes together nicely, and not only smells like candy bars…..it is nice and fluffy too!!
Sprinkle the chocolate shavings on top of the frosted cupcakes liberally. Enjoy!!!
Chocolate Butterfinger Cupcakes
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (can use olive, canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Yields 12-14 cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix together the eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together cocoa, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Alternately begin adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the large bowl, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners, spoon batter into liners. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Note: if you would like to sprinkle part of the peanut butter powder on the batter before placing in the oven, you will need to peel the candy bars before starting to mix the cupcake batter.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 12 fun-size Butterfinger Candy Bars
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter*
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
* I used my homemade peanut butter in place of store bought peanut butter
- Use a vegetable peeler to scrape the chocolate coating off of the crunchy peanut butter bars, set aside the chocolate shavings. Use a food processor to finely crush the peanut butter bars, set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the butter until creamy and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add peanut butter and mix for another 1-2 minutes. Add crushed candy bars and mix well.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar, mix well. Add in heavy cream. Mix for about 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes, top with chocolate shavings.
Adapted from Make Bake Celebrate