Do you ever want to use more than one color frosting? Or even more than one flavor?? You don’t have to pick just one!
With little effort, you can prepare the frosting to be swirled when you pipe it onto a cupcake.
For these cupcakes, I chose to go with Red, White, and Blue, since the Fourth of July is just around the corner. You will also need a good frosting to start with. I used my go-to Buttercream Frosting.
- 1 cup (two sticks) butter, room temperature
- 1 T pure vanilla extract
- 3 T heavy cream
- 2-4 cups of powdered sugar
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, start whipping the butter. You will want to do this for 2-3 minutes until is fluffy and lighter in color.
- Add in vanilla extract and heavy cream, mix.
- Add in 2 cups of powdered sugar and start slowly mixing, once incorporated turn the mixer up to medium. Beat for about 3 minutes until you have the desired consistency.
Adapted from Unsophisticook
If you use 3 colors like I did, you will need a total of 4 piping bags. You will use one for each color, and one bag to put the rest in. You will need to start by filling 3 of the bags with 1/3 of the frosting. If you are unfamiliar with filling piping bags, you can view my tutorial.
After filling the 3 bags, you will want to prepare the last bag. Prepare it as you would a normal piping bag. Drop in the tip, I suggest a 1M tip, and trim the bottom of the bag so the tip pokes out.
Cut the ends of the three bags with frosting, and drop all three of them into the last bag at once. This will help ensure they are even within the bag.
Twist the end of the bag and squeeze to get the frosting flowing, pipe as you would usually. Enjoy!
This is perfect for the holidays, have fun experimenting!!!