I would like you to introduce you to Sweet Potato- Chips!!
These crisp, crunchy, delightfully tasty chips are SO easy to make. You will be wondering why you haven’t made them before!
My Husband (Josh) and I just kind of stumbled across this recipe. We really try our hardest to make home cooked meals, and not go out to eat so much. Obviously, this means learning to make some of our favorites at home!
Somewhere in this conversation is when Josh mentioned that when he was growing up, they would make their own potato chips. We were pretty excited about this idea, but it is so hard to cut the potatoes evenly. To remedy this problem, we purchased a slicer.
They are relatively cheap, and will make a world if difference!
So now that we have been making potato chips for a few months, I decided I would try to put a “healthy” spin on them, by making them out of sweet potatoes….and they turned out SO GOOD!! I most definitely prefer these over regular potato chips!
So let’s get to the details:
- No need to peel your potatoes. You will want to slice them thin, I recommend about 1/16″.
- These are fried. We use a deep fryer filled with canola oil, and heated to 375 degrees. You can use oil in a pan on the stove, but this makes it harder to control the temperature.
- You will need to fry the potato chips in small batches. Try as much as possible to get like sized potato slices in each batch. This will help to ensure that all of your chips are done at the same time. Otherwise, you may have some perfectly done, and some over-cooked or even under-cooked
- I cook them for 5-7 minutes. However, this will vary based on the thickness of your potato slices. Typically, I can tell they are done because they will have little to no bubbles around them in the deep fryer
- You will want to put your chips in a bowl lined with paper towel. This will soak up any excess oil. Your chips will still be a bit soft when they come out of the fryer, they will harden as the oil dries
- I highly recommend sprinkling your chips with freshly cracked sea salt as soon as they come out of the fryer. The salt will really help the flavor pop, and the oil on the chips will help the salt stick
Sweet Potato- Chips
- 2-3 Sweet Potatoes
- Canola Oil
- Sea Salt
- Preheat deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- Wash and dry your potatoes. Slice them thinly, to approximately 1/16″.
- Group the slices into small batches that will fit into your fryer, without overlap. Try to put similar sized slices in each of your batches.
- Fry for about 5-7 minutes. This time might vary due to the thickness of your potato slices.
- Line a bowl with paper towel.
- Once done, there will be little to no bubbles around the chips in the deep fryer. Pull them out and put them in the bowl lined with paper towel.
- Immediately sprinkle with freshly cracked sea salt. Enjoy once cool.