All I have to say is MMMM… Caramel!
These cupcakes are packed full of caramel flavor! The cupcake itself is a brown sugar cupcake, which really lets the caramel flavor shine through!
It is then filled with a freshly made Salted Caramel Sauce (MMMmmmm..), and topped with Salted Caramel Buttercream!! It is super decadent, but SO good!
Once the cupcakes cool, I use a cupcake corer to remove the center. If you do not have a cupcake corer, that is okay. You can use a knife to cut out the center. In the past I used a grapefruit knife, it worked really well.
Once you have all of the cupcakes cored, you can start making your Salted Caramel Sauce.
I have step-by-step pictures in my Salted Caramel Sauce post. It is really easy to do, it is just important that you don’t leave it unattended!
Once the caramel cools just a little bit (do not refrigerate it), you can begin filling the cupcakes. It might get messy, but that is okay, you will be topping them with frosting.
Once all of your cupcakes are filled, you will want to start making your frosting. It starts out with a simple mix of butter and powdered sugar, and your leftover caramel is the perfect amount for the frosting.
You may have a hard time not eating it with a spoon 🙂
Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 heavy cream
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix. Slowly mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add in heavy cream and mix just until combined.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners, spoon batter into liners. Bake for 22-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
Yields approximately 12 cupcakes
Cupcakes adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 T butter, cut up into 6 pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 t salt
- Once cupcakes have cooled completely, core them using either a cupcake corer or knife.
- Once all cupcakes have been cored, begin making the salted caramel sauce. Please see the steps here.
- Once the caramel is complete, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Do not refrigerate. Use a spoon to fill the cupcake centers.
- Save remaining caramel for frosting.
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- Remaining Caramel Sauce (from above)
- Coarse Salt (optional garnish)
- Beat butter and powdered sugar together. Slow at first, then once they are incorporated, increase the speed. You will want it to be fluffy.
- Add remaining caramel, and mix well.
- Pipe or spread frosting on cupcakes. If you would like, sprinkle with coarse salt.