I can’t believe it, today is the three year anniversary of my blog!!!! Time sure flies!
In making homemade baked goods, it can be difficult to make them as moist as boxed cakes. However, buttermilk does wonders!! Enter Pink Velvet cupcakes….
These cupcake are a vanilla version of their delicious big sister, Red Velvet. They are soft, fluffy, moist, and delicious! Not to mention…pretty pink!!
I have to be honest, I am really not a fan of those really thick cream cheese frostings. That is why I love my Whipped Cream-Cream Cheese frosting. It is light and airy, and the almond extract really puts the flavor over the top!!
When I was decorating these cupcakes, I realized that pretty pink sparkles would be perfect…but I didn’t have any.
I took some clear sugar crystals, and added a few drops of pink. Ta-da! It was simple fix.
Pink Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2-3 drops pink gel food coloring
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 baking soda
- 1/2 buttermilk
Yields about 12 cupcakes
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add food coloring, and then vanilla. Mix.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the egg mixture. Beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners, bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Adapted from Blanhnik Baker
Whipped Cream-Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 t almond extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, and extracts using an electric mixer. After ensuring these ingredients are well combined, begin pouring in the heavy cream. Continue whipping the mixture until it has the appearance of whipped cream and can hold a stiff peak.
Frosting adapted from All Recipes