So, I live in Wisconsin, and we keep hoping that Summer will show up some day soon. Unfortunately, it is already the end of August, and it still hasn’t arrived! So it is time that I share some Summer recipes….I started it out with Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes, but since it hasn’t felt much like Summer, I haven’t posted another Summer cupcake…..until now.
This cupcake is a fluffy flavorful lemon cupcake, and the frosting is packed full with blueberry and cream cheese. I made this recipe for the first time last weekend and it quickly became a favorite of many, even my most frequent cupcake tasters.
I cannot stress enough how fluffy these cupcakes are, they really come out perfectly. No box mix needed!!! And the frosting is incredible, one of my co-workers pointed out that it would be tasty on a bagel!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- zest and freshly squeezed juice of two medium lemons*
*Note: I set aside a small amount of lemon zest for decorating the frosted cupcakes
Yields 12 cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together on medium-high for about 2-3 minutes. The color will get lighter. Add in the eggs one at the time, mixing after each. Add vanilla, mix.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. With the mixer on, begin slowly adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Add heavy cream, lemon zest (remember to set some aside if you would like to use it for decorating the frosted cupcakes), and lemon juice. Mix until just combined.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners, spoon batter evenly into liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 8 oz of cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cups of blueberries, frozen
- 3-5 cups of powdered sugar
- Fresh Blueberries for decorating frosted cupcakes (optional)
- Lemon Zest for decorating frosted cupcakes (optional)
- Crush frozen blueberries in a food processor, set aside
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix butter until the color lightens, 2-3 minutes. Add in cream cheese and beat until well combined. Add blueberries, mix. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix well. Keep adding sugar by 1/2 cup until the desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe or spread frosting onto cooled cupcakes. If desired, add fresh blueberries and lemon zest decorations.
Adapted from Week of Menus