Be forewarned…..these mozzarella sticks are delicious!! But that is okay, because they are simple to make. They only use TWO-INGREDIENTS…egg roll wrappers and string cheese.
You will also use a drop of water to help seal the mozzarella sticks, dipping sauce if you so choose, and of course oil for frying!
My husband and I have been making these ever since we got a deep fryer for our bridal shower 5 years ago! In fact, this was the first thing we made in the deep fryer…and we still can’t get enough!
Rolling the mozzarella sticks is not as scary as you may think! You will want to unwrap all of the mozzarella sticks, open the egg roll wrappers, and fill a small bowl full of water.
Start by laying the egg roll wrapper flat on the plate in a diamond shape. Place the mozzarella stick in the middle.
Fold in the top and bottom corners.
Take one side of the egg roll wrapper, and fold it all the way over.
Dip your finger in the water, and rub it on the remaining corner (on the right in the below corner).
Complete this process with the remaining string cheese. I made a few extras!!
A deep fryer is the best method for cooking these, but if you do not have a deep fryer, you could heat the oil in a large pot.
I cannot stress enough how amazing these are!
What is even better…you can make them ahead of time, and cook from frozen!
Freezing: Uncooked mozzarella sticks can be placed in a ziplock bag and frozen.
No need to thaw, you can put the mozzarella sticks directly from the freezer to deep fryer
I prefer a marinara dipping sauce.
To keep things simple, I just pour jarred pizza sauce in a bowl, cover it with a paper towel and heat for 3o seconds.
It is that simple!!
Easy Mozzarella Sticks
- 10 Egg Roll Wrappers
- 10 String Cheese (unwrapped)
- Oil (I used Canola) for frying
- Pizza sauce in a jar- for Dipping (optional)
- Begin preheating deep fryer full of oil to 350 degrees. If using a pot, add oil and turn on medium-high heat. You will want the temperature to reach 350 degrees as well. If you do not have a thermometer, you will need to adjust if the mozzarella sticks are not frying properly.
- Roll string cheese into egg roll wrappers using the process described above.
- Fry mozzarella sticks in small batches. You will want them to be in a single layer, and not touching each other.
- Fry for about 4-5 minutes, or until the mozzarella sticks become a light golden brown.
- Once cooked, place on a plate covered in paper towel. This will help soak up any excess grease.
- Pour pizza sauce into a small bowl, cover with paper towel, and microwave until warm (about 30 seconds).
*Uncooked mozzarella sticks can be frozen. To cook from frozen, place frozen mozzarella sticks into deep fryer until heated thoroughly and a light golden brown