There is no denying it….the Holiday Season is here in full force!
I typically procrastinate when it comes to the holidays. In fact, last year we did not get our Christmas Tree decorated until December 23rd, I know I know, that is really bad! BUT this year has been different. I am not sure if it is because we are in our new dream house, or if it is because our daughter is three and obsessed with Santa…but we are definitely in the Christmas Spirit early this year, and way ahead of the game! We even got our Christmas Tree up the week after Thanksgiving!!
Peppermint is most definitely one of the most popular flavors of the season, that is why I created these Chocolate Cupcakes with Swiss Peppermint Frosting.
I didn’t want the Peppermint flavor to be too overpowering, so I did not add any peppermint extract to the cupcake itself. I think the amount of flavor is perfect from frosting!
Speaking of the frosting….I have never tried this type of frosting before, it is thick, creamy, and not too sweet…perfection!! I came across this recipe on Cooking for Keeps . I saw that it used egg whites, and it peaked my interest.
I like to sprinkle some crushed candy cane on top of these cupcakes as a festive garnish. It makes them the perfect addition to any holiday party!
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oil (can use olive, canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 3/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Yields 12-14 cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix together the eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together cocoa, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Alternately begin adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the large bowl, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners, spoon batter into liners. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Swiss Peppermint Frosting
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter, room temperature
- 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 t peppermint extract
- Crushed candy canes for garnish
**If you plan to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, you may want to double-this recipe to ensure you have enough for all of the cupcakes
Adapted from Cooking for Keeps
- In a small saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar. Heat over a low flame, stirring constantly. Continuing heating until the mixture is warm and the sugar is fully dissolved. Pour mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using a whisk attachment, beat the mixture on high until a stiff peak forms. Switch to the paddle attachment. Begin adding the butter a tablespoon at a time, mixing between each addition.
- After all of the butter has been blended into the mixture, add vanilla and peppermint extracts. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Garnish with crushed candy canes.