So I am not ready for Winter…I still want to hang on to some of the delicious fall recipes…like apple pie!
These cupcakes encompass all of the flavors of apple pie in one delicious cupcake! They are even filled with homemade apple pie filling!!
The cupcake itself is actually a variation of the base for my Marble cupcakes, there are just a couple of modifications to ensure they pair well with the apple pie filling!
They are a great consistency, and perfectly spongy.
You can use a sharp knife to cut out the middle. My favorite way to get consistency is a cupcake corer.
If you are in a time crunch, you could use canned apple pie filling. I decided to make it from scratch, and it was so simple! And really good…
When filling the cupcakes, I just spooned in the apple pie filling…YUM
All that was left was the frosting. At first, I was planning on whipping together a spiced buttercream. Then it hit me, that would be too heavy. My favorite thing to top apple pie with is….whipped cream!
So I went to my go-to whipped cream frosting, which is truly just whipped cream whipped to a stiff peak! I first used this on a cupcake in my Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes.
Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of oil (can use olive, canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
Apple Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, and diced finely
- 1 T Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a hand or stand mixer, combine the egg whites and sugars together until light and fluffy.
- While the mixer is still on, add in the oil, mix until combined. Add in vanilla, and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Begin slowly adding the flour mixture to the wet mixture, alternating with the 1 cup of buttermilk. Begin and end with the flour mixture.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Bake for 19-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, begin making your apple pie filling. In a small bowl, mix together the diced apples, sugars, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and apple mixture on medium-low heat, stirring frequently to prevent the sugar from burning. Once the sugars have caramelized (approx 5 mins), remove from saucepan and place in a bowl to ensure it does not overheat. Allow to cool.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, begin coring them. Spoon in the filled apple pie filling.
Yields 12 cupcakes
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 T sugar
- 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
- Nutmeg (optional garnish)
- Pour all ingredients into mixing bowl. Using either the whisk attachment of a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat until a stiff peak forms.
- Pipe or spread frosting on top of cupcakes, and lightly sprinkle with nutmeg.